Re: Principal Investigator?

One solution is to use a different name to distinguish the RAM users with
primary responsibilities from principal investigators (which, of course may
be the same persons) as: "Authorized Users" or "Responsible Investigators".
That way the capacity in which an individual (or her research) is being
discussed is, usually, unambiguous.

At 02:06  10/06/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>For those of you at Universities, what is your definition of a
>>Principal Investigator? and how do you determine who can and who
>>cannot be a Principal Investigator authorized to use radioactive
>>material?
>
>We just had a discussion on this matter at our last Radiation Safety
>Committee meeting.  We (Rad Safety) have always said that a PI is the
>person who's name is on the permit for using radioactive materials.  The
>researchers say that the PI is the person responsible for the research and
>the person on the grant.  So, for example, one PI may have several related
>research projects taking place under one large grant with three or four
>labs taking part in the work.  Each lab may then have a separate permit
>with Rad Safety.  From our standpoint, we'd have several PIs; from the
>researchers' point of view, they have one PI and several investigators.
>
>A semantic difference, to some extent, but it raised a lot of hackles until
>we realized it.
>
>Andy
>
>Andrew Karam, MS, CHP
>RSO, University of Rochester
>(716) 275-3781 (voice)
>(716) 256-0365 (fax)
>akaram@safety.rochester.edu
>
>"The mind is not a vessel to be filled  but a fire to be lighted"
> Plutarch

Chris Alston
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu
I am not here a representative of my employer.