RE: Principal Investigator?

Similar to Andrew Karam's reply, we make a distinction between the PI who is
on the grant and the PI who has the radioactive materials license. We do
this by calling the latter person a Principal User (of radionuclides). This
person must have sufficient previous experience and training in using
radioactive materials to be responsible for all other independent and
supervised users under them. How do you get this experience if you're a new
PI? You work under an established Principal User for a while, until the
Radiation Safety Committee decides you can have your own license. We have a
number of labs with one PU and several PIs. It makes the it easier to deal
with one person.

Jim Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Wyoming