Re: Q:therapeutic doses - pneumothorax

Melissa woo wrote:

> A colleague called and asked if I had any information about what
> therapeutic doses were given to patients to treat a condition called
> pneumothorax.  He also mentioned treatment of TB patients during the 50s
> and 60s, but it wasn't clear if that was related.  He also made mention of
> something called the BRIER reports.
>
> Does anyone have information on this, or can even make sense of what he's
> asking?  He apparently has little access to references, and I'm not sure
> we'd have much relevant in our office.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> --
> Melissa Woo, Health Physicist                   |<mailto:m-woo@uiuc.edu>
> Div. of Environmental Health & Safety           |office 217.244-7233
> 101 S. Gregory St., MC-225, Urbana, IL 61801    |fax    217.244.6594
> <www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/m-woo/>                    |

THIS IS BY NO MEANS A DEFINITIVE ANSWER.  FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME.Radiation
wasn't used to treat pneumothorax, but a group was monitored using
fluoroscopy.

Pneumothorax means a collapsed lung.  Air is introduced into the thorax,
breaking the suction caused by the diaphragm and causing one side of the lung
to collapse.  I don't know if it can be done on a lobe by lobe basis (Rt side
has 3 lobes, left has 2).

This was done as a treatment for tuberculosis.  To monitor the collapsed lung,
the patient was subjected to repeat fluoroscopy.

TB patients who had this procedure represent a large population for studying
the effects of radiation on the breast.  The 1990 BEIR (Biological Effects of
Ionizing Radiation)(BEIR V, National Academy of Sciences Press, 1990) report
lists 2 separate groups that received this type of treatment, a Canadian study
with > 30,000 women first treated 1930 - 52 and a Massachusetts group of about
1000 patients irradiated 1930 - 56.

The above mentioned BEIR report is a good source for the references.

Therte were some UN reports as well.  I haven't seen one lately.

Title was UNSCEAR: UN Scientific Comm on Effects of Atomic Radiation.

--
Chris Hawkins
Radiation Oncology