RE: I-131 Bioassay, Requirements vs Recommendations

I've pondered this one quite awhile as well.  When the 10 CFR limits were
revised, the limit for the thyroid dose went up to 50 rem.  Under current
regimes the regulatory threshold, became 5 rem, which was the old exposure
limit.  So in effect, if the regulatory agencies had been receiving reports
of overexposures as discovered by bioassay analysis in the past, those
facilities would have to continue performing bioassays, whereas no one else
should need to. Since I don't recall seeing any such overexposures reported
in documents sent to congress by the NRC, I would think that after years of
having bioassay data built up from those cases using from 10's of mCi's to
100's of mCi's you can put together a compelling argument that any bioassay
for I-131 are not needed (despite what the guidance suggests)as your own
results support.

Daren Perrero
dmperrero@email.msn.com
I'm with the government, I'm here to help you....