HP lab survey frequency

Here's another question for you.
Here is why I am asking.
We have been doing biweekly smear surveys for 30 plus years.
Because of training efforts, the use of lower activity levels of
radioactive material and more surveys by lab personnel, we are
thinking of changing our frequency to possibly once per month. But we
want some benchmarks. So if you care to be a benchmark please respond.
The intent is to see what other universities are doing nowadays but I
welcome input from other labs as well.

How often does your health physics staff visit and survey
laboratories in your organization? Wipes, meter survey, that type of
survey.

weekly _____  monthly _______ quarterly ________

other _______

Approximately how many labs do you survey at that frequency?

Do you usually find contamination during your smear survey and
meter survey or is it rare to find to find unexpected contamination?

If you do find contamination, what is the activity level?

If you can make a brief statement as to why you are doing surveys at
the frequency you use, I would appreciate that as well.

If this type of question has already been posted on radsafe and
answered, I missed it. If you remember that it was, let me know.

Once again, thank you for your response.

BOB Milwicz, RSO Princeton University
Milwicz@princeton.edu
If you have time, visit our web site at
www.princeton.edu/~ehs