RE: HP lab survey frequency

We survey most labs quarterly, high usage labs monthly, very low use labs
semi-annual.  Surveys are more often if the lab has problems.  We do wipe
and meter surveys, our survey forms are linked to an inventory database so
HP staff knows what isotopes they are looking for.  This occasionally
negates the need to meter.

~420 labs.  ~120/ mo.

We find contamination in about 2 or 3 labs a month.

usually <2000 DPM/cm2.

This is how the program was setup when I came to work.  We have kicked
around the idea of surveying a lab when their package receipts hit a target
amount.   This could be accomplished using our inventory database.  Also,
about 4 yr.. ago we made it policy for labs to survey themselves (frequent
enough to control contamination or some such wording)and document the
surveys. We check the survey records and survey the lab to determine the
effectiveness.  Since our survey form is linked to show the last quarter's
receipts, we can check to see if surveys are recorded commensurate with use.
Again, if a lab has problems we require them to do more and we check them
more.

Joey Michael
joey-michael@uiowa.edu
University of Iowa