RE: Bugs May Spread Radioactivity - this is new news?

If you can imagine ants . . . try earthworms.  A study was commissioned at
one of the local National Labs to quantify how much radioactivity could be
ingested and retained within the living tissue.  The worms were harvested
live using mustard powder ladened water.  (Poured onto a surface of soil,
earthworms will come to the soil surface; sounds like a second business
opportunity.)  The worms were kept on moistened paper towels in petri dishes
where all their excrement was collected.  After being kept in the kennel for
several days and all material within the GI tract was cleared, the worms
were pureed.  Both fractions were analyzed.

Also in close proximity, radioactive contamination was noted on the roadways
due to contaminated frogs being made roadkill by traffic.  Once noticed,
traffic patterns in the area were controlled and the contaminated locations
covered with tape until they were decontaminated.  Not sure what happened to
the carcasses.  It was a big enough story to hit the Star.  I'm sure there
are many similar stories from SRS.

The study was an attempt to quantify the little known pathway of
contaminated ground to worm to bird and in various ways to man.  I'm not
sure of the results, but several papers were presented.  I'm more concerned
with the local population of geese which make their way back and forth from
the Oak Ridge Reservation.

Kenny Fleming CHP CSP
FUSRAP Radiological Control Supervisor
knflemin@bechtel.com