Basis for Contamination

Hans,

Please save  taxpayers some money and don't spend the time and effort to
search the Federal Register.  Since the late 60's or early 70's the U.S.
transportation regulations  have been  based on the IAEA Regulations for
the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material.  The current regulations and
those for  the rest  of the  world are  based on  Safety Series  7, 1985
edition (as amended 1990).  There are corresponding companion documents:
Safety Series 6, Safety Series 37 and Safety Series 80.

The 1996  Edition of  Regulations for  the Safe Transport of Radioactive
Material -  Requirements was  published as  ST-1.   Its companion volume
ST-2 is due out imminently.

It would  appear that  the surface  contamination  limits  in  the  U.S.
regulations are  a factor  of ten below those in the Safety Series 6 and
ST-1.  In reality they are the same.  The U.S. regulations permit you to
assume a  10% removable  contamination  factor  and  use  the  published
tables, but  the IAEA  regulations assume  you will apply an appropriate
removable contamination factor.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 225-924-1473 - Note new area code
Fax: 225-924-4269 - Note new area code
(New area code not working yet in some areas.  Try old 504 area code.)

    12-Oct-98 13:09 CDT
From: Hans D Oldewage <HDOLDEW@SANDIA.GOV>
Subject: Basis for DOT Contamination Limits

Does anybody know the technical basis behind the external alpha and
beta surface contamination limits specified by DOT/NRC?  Also, the basis
for the factor of 10 increase allowed for exclusive use shipments?

We are beginning a Federal Register search to see if this information is
available, but any assistance from this forum would also be appreciated.

Because I work for a contractor to the U.S. Government,  I have no
budget to offer for your time.   I am just relying on your sense of
patriotism, and your trust that this is good cause.

Please respond to me directly, and to the list if you think the
information may be useful to others.

Hans Oldewage, CHP
Sandia National Laboratories
505-845-7728