Re: GPS USE

All laser systems suffer from the same major shotcoming: They are
specifically line-of-sight.  That means, if the operator accidently gets
in front of the beam, you lose data.  If you have rooms that are not
perfectly square, you lose data.  If the room had vertical support
beams, you lose data.  In addition, you have laser safety
considerations.

GPS is nice, BUT you have to remember the basic GPS program.  ALL GPS
satellites are OWNED AND CONTROLLED by the military.  Except for
classified, controlled military units, the GPS is intentionally degraded
for any non-military use. Companies claiming "cenitmeter accuracy" are
lieing.  In actuality, they use diffentental GPS or DGPS.  This system
uses a staionary GPS antenna to establish a "known" point and a second
antenna to establish the "difference" between the stationary antenna and
the mobile antenna.  The problem is, because the military controls the
satellites and the signals given off, the accuracy of the base station
is, at best +/- 30 meters (based on major computer computation) and the
accuracy of the mobile antenna is +/- 100 meters, the accuracy of any
given point is VERY questionable.  IF the survey shows no area of
concern, then the accuracy is not important.  However, if the survey
indicates areas that require further survey or remediation, finding that
area may be very difficult.

There are other systems that provide much better accuracy (+/- 1 ft),
repeatability - you can go back to that EXACT spot even 10 years from
now, 100% per cent coverage of outdoor areas (with limitation for
terrain), over 10,000 data points per hour, and accepted by multiple
regulatory agencies.  Indoor surveys can use the same system, and
provide 3-D (up to 2 meters) survey maps of any room, regardless of
supports or room configuration.

No civil surveys are required, but pre-existing surveys can be
integrated into the survey.

We do GPS surveys when they are a vialble choice.  We also perform our
other surveys in any area, for any isotope, to meet any regulatory
requirement.

LARY R MARTIN
HEALTH PHYSICIST
LR MARTIN & ASSOCIATES< Inc
(757) 989-0255
(757) 989-0754 FAX
larym@hotmail.com

>From server@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu Mon Oct 12 13:04:50 1998
>Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 15:07:17 -0500 (CDT)
>Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>From: "Fleming, Kenneth" <knflemin@bechtel.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: GPS USE
>
>I've been tasked with conducting a radiological survey including both
>outdoor (huge tracks of land) and indoor areas.  The client wants us to
>consider the use of GPS to locate data points; foregoing the use of
civil
>surveys if possible.  It's been several years since I saw a system
being
>designed for use at Kerr-McGee (West Chicago) and I don't remember the
>manufacturer.  I've seen TNutech's GPERs system (for exterior areas)
and a