Re: Missing H-3

The problem is you boiled the water.  The boiling action "splashed"
bubbles out of the water.  The proper procedure for dessicating water is
never boil, but set the temp about 10 - 15 degrees below the boiling
point.  Thr "drying" may take a bit longer, but regardless of the
isotope involved, 99+% of the material stays in the concentrate.

>From server@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu Mon Oct 12 17:01:22 1998
>Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:04:06 -0500 (CDT)
>Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>From: Mr Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Missing H-3
>
>We boiled about 20 ml of tritiated water and condensated the vapor of
about
>2 ml. It appears that the initial H-3 concentration prior to boiling,
and
>the H-3 concentration in the condensated water from the tritiated water
>vapor are different. I am aware of that the boiling point of tritiated
water
>is slightly different from the ordinary water. The initial H-3 activity
in
>the water is 2400 dpm/ml and the condensated water activity is about
1800
>dpm/ml. The boiling stopped when we collected about 2 ml of  water
sample.

>I would appreciate the possible explanations for this discrepancy.
Thank