Re: Inteference correction for different energy Beta

Mr. Jo:

Re:  Pb-210 - it decays to Bi-210 which has a half-life of 5.013 days and
is in equilibrium with the Pb-210.  B-210 decays by 100% beta emission with
a maximum energy of 1.161 MeV.  Therefore, the Pb-210 source should really
be considered a Bi-210 source.  The Pb-210 source is covered with a thin
lead shield to attenuate the emissions from the Pb-210.  The lead shield
also attenuates about 10% of the emissions from the Bi-210 source and any
efficiency determined for this source should be increased by 10%.  (Note:
the other sources in your beta source set are covered with mylar covers).

Regards,
Laurie Taylor, Health Physics Associate
The University of Iowa
laurie-taylor@uiowa.edu