Re: Inteference correction for different energy Beta

Thank you Laurie, I agree with you that Pb-210 should be considered Bi-210 beta
source due to secular equilibrium condition. I did not exam the source window
material closely but it sounds like low energy betas from Pb-210 should not escape
to produce counts. What do you think 10.8 keV x-ray and 46.5 gamma from Pb-210
would contribute to the total counts measured by a pan cake GM?  Have a good
weenend. M. Jo

Laurie Taylor wrote:

> Mr. Jo:
>
> Re:  Pb-210 - it decays to Bi-210 which has a half-life of 5.013 days and
> is in equilibrium with the Pb-210.  B-210 decays by 100% beta emission with
> a maximum energy of 1.161 MeV.  Therefore, the Pb-210 source should really
> be considered a Bi-210 source.  The Pb-210 source is covered with a thin
> lead shield to attenuate the emissions from the Pb-210.  The lead shield
> also attenuates about 10% of the emissions from the Bi-210 source and any
> efficiency determined for this source should be increased by 10%.  (Note:
> the other sources in your beta source set are covered with mylar covers).
>
> Regards,
> Laurie Taylor, Health Physics Associate
> The University of Iowa
> laurie-taylor@uiowa.edu