RE: contamination by spraying

Scott,

If 'production water' was just sea water I can completely agree with
you, but it is not ...

Fyi: during the deep-downhole gas/oil formation process, als (connate)
water is formed. Via porous/cracked 'rocks', the gas/oil/water mixture
tries to escape via the surface. During this transport (on a geological
time scale) minerals may be leached from the 'rocks' passed, where these
minerals mainly will become dissolved in the aqueous part of the
mixture. If these these mixtures encounter (dome shaped) impenetrable
rock, so-called (gas/oil) reservoirs may be formed, where also some
separation may occur (from top of the dome to 'bottom', gas-oil-water).
Starting production from such a reservoir, initially 'pure' gas/oil may
be produced, but with increasing productional life time, also water will
be co-produced. This water is just termed 'production water', which is
separated from gas/oil in so-called dehydration facilities. The
production water may just be sweet water, but can be very saline as well
(specific gravities up 1.15 g/mL have been reported). Besides, the
reported concentrations of Naturally Occurring Radionuclides (NORs) in
'production waters' vary considerably:
  NOR           Reported Range (Bq/L)
 U-238           0.0003 <>     0.1
 Ra-226          0.002  <> 1,200
 Pb-210          0.05   <>   190
 Th-232          0.0003 <>     0.001
 Ra-228          0.3    <>   180
 Ra-224          0.5    <>    40

Very likely, it will be a non-issue, but before I draw the conclusion
that 'contamination by spraying' is a 'radiological' non-issue, some
work has to be done.

Kind Regards, Gert Jonkers
e-mail   Gert.G.Jonkers@OPC.Shell.COM