ALARA TEDE Performance Goal -Reply

Martin:
In the NRC controlled world ALARA action levels are left up to the individual
license holder to define.  This is probably due to the various conditions at
different sites.

My personal experience has been that ALL work inside of Radiological Control
Areas is screened for expected person hours and expected radiological
conditions in the work area.
If the expected exposure is > 1 man rem then a review of the task must be
performed.  If the task is complicated or could result in airborne, work in or
around high rad areas, highly contaminated areas, etc we go ahead and do a
review even if the expected total dose is low.

So if you are looking for specific federal action levels for ALARA I am not
aware of any.  The individual site will establish their own and act on them
accordingly.

Ron Shepherd