Re: pocket sized ratemeters

Andrew Karam wrote:

> We have been borrowing one of the Ludlum pocket ratemeters (the Model
> 2401-P survey meter) for a few weeks.  It seems to be reliable and easy to
> use.  I expect it to be as rugged as any other Ludlum instrument.  The cost
> is about $375 or so.  The 2401-P is a pancake meter; they also have an
> energy-compensated GM and an end-window GM.  Our techs like it and I have
> recommended it to some of our researchers as a great alternative to the
> cheap and lousy meters they'd otherwise buy.

We tried one for several months here at CSU. We have recommended this meter for
a backup to instruments in the lab. Be careful of the Ludlum instrument when
calibrating. If you squeeze the instrument it will not respond correctly. Do
not over tighten the screws after calibration or it may not work at all.

--
James C. Graham - Radiation Safety Officer
Environmental Health Services