Re: OOPS - Old Burial Site -Reply -Reply

Paul,

Obfuscation?  I do not think so.  In response to a question about an imprecisely
identified nuclear site, I identified several possible candidates.  Further discussion
led to the conclusion that one of the sites I identified was the one in which Jesse
was interested.

Disclosures?  This is something of a stretch.  The existence of the Santa Susana
site was not hidden.  Not only has it been addressed extensively in the open
literature, it has been discussed on RADSAFE in the last year.  The events I
mentioned also are addressed in considerable detail in the open literature.  Of
course, few people care but my employment history also is an open book.  I have
presented technical papers and published articles identifying each of my employers
since college.  Moreover,  my employment history was made available to anyone
who had an interest when I was a candidate for a Health Physics Society office.

"Incestuous morphing"?  This evidently is a colorful if inaccurate characterization
of my changing jobs, from working for a NSSS vendor to working for the
Government.  While the details of the job change, the essence of being a health
physicist is and has been radiation safety, protecting people and the environment.
Actually, being an American, I have changed job a number of times.  My jobs have
included work on nuclear ships, space nuclear power,  a utility, a university and the
United Nations.  While this varied experience has taught me a great deal and made
me better able to do the job,  there is nothing more dramatic than professional
growth.

"Possible genesis of our credibility problem"?  I am afraid not.  Actually, the public
concern about radiation dates back to 1898 and John Dennis' alarmist (but justified)
articles; the activist propaganda has continued and has been very effective.

"Why they devolved the USAEC"?  Not at all.  The breakup of the AEC was a
political move and the official reason was the separation of organizational
responsibility.  So far as I can recall, no one ever proposed a barrier to prevent
experienced people from joining the regulatory organization.  Only someone who
does not understand, or who wants the regulatory agency to fail, would find fault the
hiring of experienced people by the NRC.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov