Re: NRC scraps commercial nuclear power terrorism program

Hi all,

While I could be wrong (happens more often than I would like), I believe
the 100,000 number comes from the Ukraine government figures. I have also
heard that the figure is an attempt at maximizing the death toll in hopes
of increasing the limited funding for Ukraine government for clean up?
Simply put,  I do not know.  I do know the 100,000 has been repeated
numerous times on Anti-nuc web sites and is attributed to the Ukraine
Government statements on those sites.

I believe the UN/IAEA and NEA publish deaths at:  31 people died in the
course of the accident or soon after and another 137 were treated for the
acute radiation syndrome. Anyone have better info?

More on Chernobyl:
http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/chern.htm