Re: Food Irradiationn Question

THere are very few radical species that could remain trapped for an
extended period of time unless wheat has bones or teeth!!

I don't think its that useful to fit a hypothesis to a study that has been
refuted on the basis of experimental flaws, etc.  But, what the heck, this
is "un-peer reviewed" e-mail...

The serious question that you might ask is: "How would radicals survive
the extreme (pH 1-1.5) conditions of digestion in order to be taken up and
distributed to tissues?"  Not likely.  In fact, even the most stable
radicals, such as the nitroxide radicals, have very short (minutes)
lifetimes in the body.  Nevertheless, when some nitroxyl free radicals,
such as TEMPOL are given to mice, they are protected from radiation
effects!  Long term feed studies improve lifespan and weight control in
the mice, also.

(hgc2+@pitt.edu)
H. Gregg Claycamp, Ph.D., C.H.P.
Assoc. Prof. and Assoc. Chair