Re: Food Irradiation

There were several early studies utilizing a toxicology feeding
protocol that seemed to lead to ill health in mice or rats.  ALL of such
studies can be shown to be related one or both of two ARTIFACTS:

1.	heavily irradiated foods lose vitamins.  In the monotonous rodent
diet, there aren't enough other sources of vitamins to replace the missing
vitamins.  This is clearly not the case in the typical US/Canadian/West
European diet.

2.	The logic of toxicology studies on food additives is to increase
the dose (i.e., look at saccharin!).  In order to increase dietary content
of irradiated foods, some ill-conceived studies fed too much of one food.
Even the controls (non-irradiated food) eating too much of one food source
will get sick.

Carefully designed and performed science has, since the 1920's, shown
irradiated food to be safe.

Recommended:  J.F. Diehl, THe Safety of IRradiated Food, 2nd Ed., 1996?

(hgc2+@pitt.edu)
H. Gregg Claycamp, Ph.D., C.H.P.
Assoc. Prof. and Assoc. Chair
Dept. of Environmental and