Re: HEAT STRESS/Radsafe: help!

Any good safety equipment distributor will carry cooling vests. The most
complex involve circulating chilled water. Simpler ones have pouches for
blue ice packs. A variant of blue ice is pouches containing a high mw
hydrocarbon that liquifies at body temperature worn in lieu of blue ice -
less heat capacity, but greater comfort.

Quest makes a solid state in-ear thermometer to observe core temperature.
This is the bottom line for heat stress controls. Safety distributors carry
Quest's line of instruments.

PPE is a serious problem because evaporative heat transfer, the most
effective means the body has to dump heat, no longer works when the lost
water vapor is trapped in the suit with the user. The heat stress TLV has
guidance about adjusting the measured "WBGT" temperature by up to 6 deg. C
which will have a major impact.

All in all, it is advisable to contact an IH about this.

Gordon Miller, CIH
miller22@llnl.gov