Re: Contamination At POTW

I worked a little bit with this facility while with the Ohio Department of
Health.  My last contact with the plant was several years ago, but some
information may still be relevant.

>   * Where did this occur and how long ago?

The Southerly Waste Water Treatment Plant just south of Cleveland.
Probably happened in the late 1970s.

>   * What type of facility did the contaminant come from?

The Co-60 probably came from the former Picker facility (now owned by
Advanced Medical Systems

>   * What was the contaminant and was it water-soluble?

Co-60, probably from manufacturing medical sources.  Did not seem to be
water soluble because in some cases specific hot particles could be
detected or their presence inferred

>   * What was the activity (mCi/day, mCi/month) being sewerage-discharged?

Don't know.

>   * What kind of remediation, if any, was made by either the POTW or the
>     responsible facility?

One plan was to allow institutional controls during decay-in-storage due to
the low doses and high remediation costs.

>   * Did this incident have any impact on other facilities using that POTW?

Don't know

>   Also, is there info on this or other similar incidents involving
>radio-contamination at POTWs available on the internet?

Don't know.  EPA was concerned for awhile about reconcentration at sewer
plants, and NRC noted several similar instances at other plants (including
one in Youngstown, Ohio).  I'm not sure if EPA ever followed up on this
concern, however.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Andrew Karam, MS, CHP
RSO, University of Rochester
(716) 275-3781 (voice)
(716) 256-0365 (fax)
akaram@safety.rochester.edu

http://www.rochester.edu/Admin/EHAS/rshpage.htm

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled  but a fire to be lighted"
 Plutarch