Re: Contamination At POTW

It just so happens I have an article on that right in front of me.
The article is by Frank Clifford (Times Environmental Writer) from June
of 1994.

Apparently the GAO found 14 Municipal sewer systems nationwide with
contamination. It states that in 5 cases there was enough activity in
the sludge to give someone 100 millirems in a year.

I can fax it to you if you would like.

regards Andrew

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 07:37:17 -0600 (CST) CONATSER.STEVEN_D@FORUM.VA.GOV
wrote:

>    I want to remember that several years ago (ten years?), there was an
> incident where a Publicly Owned [sewer & water] Treatment Works (POTW)
> detected radio-contamination in waste sludge that the POTW was processing.
> I believe the contaminant was Co-60, and Ohio comes to mind as location.
> Can anyone provide a history on this incident, as far as:
>    * Where did this occur and how long ago?
>    * What type of facility did the contaminant come from?
>    * What was the contaminant and was it water-soluble?
>    * What was the activity (mCi/day, mCi/month) being sewerage-discharged?
>    * What kind of remediation, if any, was made by either the POTW or the
>      responsible facility?
>    * Did this incident have any impact on other facilities using that POTW?
>
>    Also, is there info on this or other similar incidents involving
> radio-contamination at POTWs available on the internet?
>
>    Thanking in advance:  Steve Conatser, RSO, VA Medical Center, Detroit.
> conatser.steve@forum.va.gov, (313) 576-3595/3444

Andrew Buchan     tel: 805-893-7256
UC Santa Barbara  fax: 805-893-8659
email: Andrew.Buchan@ehs.ucsb.edu