Re: La Hague - 90000 times increase in air radioactivity

Bjorn,
Do you have the release handy?  I could use some more info on times here,
but if this was some isolated short burst of Kr-85, someone may have done a
controlled release of Kr-85 from a fine leak detector system during
decommissioning.  The idea behind this device for those that have never
seen such a creature, is that you place a ceramic packaged microchip into a
little pressure well, evacuate the air, pump in Kr-85 mixed with dry
nitrogen for a certain amount of time at a certain pressure (above
atmosphere) and then, after you put the Kr and N back into the storage
tank, pull the chips out and put them in a 3" NaI well counting station.
If you have counts, the time and pressure you "soaked" the parts for tells
you how big the leak is (on the order of 10^-8 cc/min); on the other hand,
no counts, no leak. Very quick and easy test for MIL-STD requirement on
non-leakage of hermetically sealed parts.

An extremely outside chance comes from the stockpile at Oak Ridge (that's
where we buy ours from) but I really doubt that ORNL is dumping the stuff
when they get it for "free" from the decay of stuff they have on hand and
then sell it for a fortune.  How much do we trust Greenpeace numbers
anyway?  How did they ID the isotope?

Scott Kniffin

RSO Unisys Federal Systems, Lanham, MD
CHO Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA
mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov

The opinions expressed here are my own. They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys or NASA.  This material has not been reviewed by my
manager or NASA.