Regulations for Occupational Exposure to Radon

It appears the regulations vary by regulating agency and worker

The Miners Safety and Health Act (MSHA) covers underground miners, whereas
OSHA regulates exposure for workers other than miners.

The MSHA limit is 1 WL in active work areas and 4 WLM per year.

OSHA sets exposure limits to either 30 pCi/L or 0.33 WL based on continuos
workplace exposure for 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year.  OSHA also
requires posting as an AIRBORNE RADIOACTIVITTY AREA, any area that an employee
works for 40 hours per week in that  exceed 7.5 pCI/L.

I also understand NRC and DOE exclude radon from occupational exposure, since
it is included in the definition of "background", so they have no occupational
radon exposure unless DOE or NRC specifically says different in an exemption
to the regulations.

Does everyone agree with the statements I made above.  Please email me
directly at bill-field@uiowa.edu to comment.

Regards, Bill Field
bill-field@uiowa.edu