Re: Ventilation Design Considerations for Non-Reactor Nuclear

At 11:57 AM 11/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone know where a summary description or checklist exists for the
>items a project planner must consider when designing ventilation systems
>for non-reactor nuclear facilities?
>
>This would list considerations such as exhaust air/gas cleaning,
>monitoring/sampling effluent for radiation/radionuclides, flow if access
>ports are inadvertently opened, emergency power, resistance to
>earthquakes/disasters, etc.
>
>Please reply to me at miller22@llnl.gov.

For non-reactor and fuel cycle facilities, I suggest the following IAEA
Safety Series and TEC-DOC, which contain very good information

a) Manual on Safety Aspects of the Design and Equipment of Hot Laboratories
-- 1981
Edition Safety Series No. 30 -- (Old document under revision, however with
very good infomation) -- Data from IAEA

This manual aims at helping those persons who plan to design and construct a
new hot
laboratory or to modify an existing one. It covers only basic ideas and
different approaches in the design of laboratory buildings, hot cells,
shielded and glove boxes, fume cupboards, and handling and viewing
equipment. Materials transfer systems and main services are also discussed.

Contents: Introduction; Purpose of the manual; Scope of the manual; Planning
and design of hot laboratories; Types of containment; Viewing, lighting and
handling systems; Transfer and transport systems; Ventilation and air
cleaning systems; Radioactive waste disposal systems; Criticality control;
Fire protection; adiological protection; Standardization and automation;
Control instrumentation; Administrative controls.

STI/PUB/582 (130 pp., 97 figures; 1981)
ISBN 92-0-623081-6
Price: 310 Austrian Schillings
=================
b) Safe Handling of Tritium Technical Reports Series No. 324 (From IAEA)

This publication contains information on the dosimetry and monitoring of
tritium, the use of protective clothing for work with tritium, safe
practices in tritium handling laboratories and details of tritium compatible
materials. The information has been compiled from experience in the various
applications of tritium and should represent valuable source material to all
users of tritium, including those involved in fusion R&D.

Contents: 1. Introduction; 2. Radiological hazards and dosimetry; 3. Tritium
monitoring; 4. Personal protective clothing; 5. Properties and compatibility
of materials for safe practice in tritium containing systems; 6. Management
of tritiated wastes; 7. Safe handling of tritium in laboratories; Annex I:
Gaseous tritium light source manufacturing; Annex II: Commercial
radiochemical manufacturing; Annex III: Safe handling of tritium in low and
medium level
university and medical facilities; Annex IV: Tritium safe handling in heavy
water reactors.

STI/DOC/10/324 (130 pp., 37 figures; 1991)
ISBN 92-0-125391-5
Price: 420 Austrian Schillings

Jose Julio Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel