Re: Monoclonal Antibody Radioimmuno-therapy for patients with ovarian carcinoma, using Yttrium-90

At 11:56 AM 11/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear radsafers
>
>We will participate in a multicentre randomised study of patients with
>ovarian carcinoma using the HMFG1 antibody labelled with Y-90.
>
>We would like to know what are the required guidelines for radiation
>protection with Y-90.
>
>The activity will be 30 mCi per patient.
>
>Thanking you in advance
>
>Sergio

>Sergio Faermann, Ph.D.                         Tel: 972-7-6403301
>Department of Oncology                         Fax: 972-7-6232336
>Soroka University Medical Center
>P.O.B 151                         E-mail:sergio@bgumail.bgu.ac.il
>Beer-Sheva, Israel 84101

Dear Sergio,

       Although your request is  not of my specific subject, I can give to
you some information:
a)  probably the NUREG 6493 has some details and results;
b) the summary above you can find at
http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/NUREGS/SR0304/part53.html

NUREG/CR-6493
Title: DOSES TO THE HAND DURING THE ADMINISTRATION OF RADIOLABELED
ANTIBODIES CONTAINING Y-90, TC-99M, I-131, AND LU-177

BARBER, D. E. Minnesota, Univ. of, Minneapolis, MN. CARSTEN, A. L. ; KAURIN,
D. G.
L. ; et al. Brookhaven National Laboratory. February 1997. 60pp. 9703100224.
BNL-NUREG-52510. 92035:235

Exposure of the hands of medical personnel administering radiolabeled
antibodies (RABS) was evaluated on the basis of
(a) observing and photo-documenting administration techniques, and
(b) experimental data on doses to thermoluminescent dosimeters (TLDs) on
fingers of phantom hands holding syringes, and on syringes, with
radionuclides in the syringes in each case.
Dose rate coefficients to the skin, if in contact with the syringe wall,
were 89, 1. 9, 3. 8, and 0. 41 uSv s(-1) averaged over 1 CM(2) at 7 mg
CM(-2) per 37 MBq (1 mCi) for Y-90, Tc-99m, I-131, and Lu-177, respectively.
When using Y-90 the importance of avoiding direct contact with syringes
containing RABs and of using a beta-particle shield on the syringe was
indicated. In using a syringe for injection, doses can best be approximated
for the geometry studied by
(a) wearing a finger dosimeter on the middle finger, toward the outside of
the hand, on the hand operating the plunger, and
(b) wearing finger dosimeters on the inner (palm) side of the finger on the
hand that supports the syringe for energetic beta-particle emitters, such as
Y-90 and
Re-188.

More Ref.

1.) Brake Radiation Dose due to Y-90 measured in an Anthropomorphic Phantom
(abstract), by L. Williams, J. Wong, D. Findley and B. Forrell, Journal of
Nuclear Medicine, Vol. 30, p.1373, 1989.

2.) Bremsstrahlung Radiation Dose in Yttrium-90 Therapy applications, by
Michael G. Stabin, Keith F. Eckerman, Jeffrey C. Ryman and Lawrence E.
Williams, Journal of Nuclear Medicine, Vol. 35, p.1377, August 1994.