Re: LSA Packaging and Shipment By Rail

>My questions involve shipping LSA material (11e.2 soils) via rail car
>hoppers for disposal.
>
>Question #1 - Does anyone know of certifications for rail cars that have
>been performed to meet the "industrial package" requirements set forth in
>49 CFR 173.411 and the tests required in 173.465 (or evaluated per
>173.461(a)?  The rail industry is not very forthcoming with information on
>this matter (and can be down right unfriendly).

I am unaware of any rail cars that have been certified as "Industrial
Packages".  In the past when I worked on projects that had to ship soils by
rail we always have been able to use a "strong tight" container.  Strong
tight containers are still allowed for domestic transportation of bulk
material.  49CFR173.427(b)(3)

Rich

Richard L. Anderson, RRPT
Asst. Radiation Safety Officer