Re: release of patient based on NRCREG 35.75

In a message dated 98-11-24 21:44:12 EST, csmarcus@ucla.edu writes:

<<  It is
 interesting that I have not been able to document a single instance of this
 happening.  I don't mean alarms sounding and I don't mean just I-131.  I
 mean I-131 from patients given over 30 mCi as outpatients.  >>

Generally speaking, the people responding the the landfill alarms (i.e., the
regulators) do not have the luxury of performing a full investigation.  We
simply do not have the time and people available to track down where an item
came from if it comes through in a residential trash load.  This means that we
may find a diaper, nightgown, or other paper waste (I even once found a
barrette, with "hot" hair in it), we may be able to identify that it's I-131
(and, it's only recently that we've been able to purchase the equipment to do
this in the field), but we still won't know whether or not this was a "less
than 30 mCi" or "more than 30 mCi" patient.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com