Re:TENORM

Dear Mr Jonkers,

Thanks you very much for the reply.  Unfortunately it's now too late in
Australia - nearly midnight, tomorrow I am going away for a couple of
days.  Then I will reply.

In the interim I would like to attract your attention to the Proceedings
of the NORM-2 Symposium in November in Germany (I just received them
today and I do apologise if you already have them).  If not, I think you
can get them from KEMA Ruud Janssen (it's something new now - I can't
readily recall the new name).

Another TENORM conference is currently being organised - will be in Rio
in September 1999 (I can send you the preliminary announcement - please
let me know if you would like to receive it).

The contents of the NORM Symposium in Krefeld (I just copy it here): <my
apologies again if you have it>

1. 	MONITORING
1-1. Interpretation of NORM measurements with respect to the enforcement
of Dutch legislation - Denmark;
1-2. Assessment of a high-level NORM site - USA:
1-3. Naturally occurring radioactive materials in Algeria;
1-4. Investigation of concentrations of Po-210 in river sediments -
Malaysia;
1-5. NORM baseline studies and surveys for the E&P [exploration and
production] industry - Netherlands;
1-6. Instrumental and radiochemical determination of natural
radionuclides in raw and waste materials - Germany;
1-7. A method for rapid determination of activity concentrations in NORM
using gamma-spectrometry - Netherlands;
1-8. Methods for monitoring of NORM on equipment offshore and onshore -
Norway;
1-9. Problems with activity determination in naturally occurring
radioactive materials - Germany;
1-10. Ongoing case studies about the implementation of the European
basic safety standards in Belgium;
1-11. The importance of rapid sampling and transparent monitoring of
sands NORMS in the field and in the laboratory - Germany.
2. 	ASSESSMENT OF PUBLIC AND OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE
2-1. Origin and encounter of Pb-210 in E&P facilities - Netherlands;
2-2. Ra-226 and Ra-228 concentrations in gypsum plasters and mortars
used in the Netherlands;
2-3. Natural radioactivity in iron and steel production - UK;
2-4. Assessment of the radiological impact of coal-fired power stations
in the United Kingdom;
2-5. Radiological impact of mining residues and sites in Germany;
2-6. Exemption levels for dredged materials - Germany.
3. 	EXPERIENCE IN INDUSTRY
3-1. Further developments in the in-situ removal of TENORM from E&P
production facilities - Netherlands;
3-2. The phosphoric acid production as a source of environmental
radioactivity - Spain;
3-3. Melting of NORM - contaminated equipment from an offshore oil
platform - Germany;
3-4. NORM in the non-nuclear industries in the USA (abstract only);
3-5. Radiation protection issues associated with the processing of
mineral sands - UK;
3-6. Radioactivity in scrap - Germany;
3-7. Offshore dismantling and decontamination of LSA contaminated
production installations - USA;
3-8. NORM in oil production - activity levels and occupational doses -
Norway;
3-9. Employee radiation exposure levels in zircon milling plants -
Australia;
without number: Radiation protection aspects of the re-use and storage
of radioactive contaminated scrap from natural gas exploration -
Germany.
4. 	WASTE MANAGEMENT
4-1. Treatment and disposal of NORM contaminated wastes - Germany;
4-2. A new recycling plant for metals contaminated by naturally
occurring radionuclides - Germany;
4-3. NORM in oil and gas production - waste management and disposal
alternatives - Norway;
4-4. Environmentally friendly disposal of mercury and NORM-contaminated
waste in the exploration and production industry - Germany;
4-5. Shallow land burial as an option for the disposal of mineral sands
waste - South Africa;
5. 	LEGIISLATION AND REGULATORY ASPECTS
5-1. International developments on the concepts of the exclusion,
exemption and clearance - IAEA;
5-2. Recycling of radioactive material  - criteria for release for
unrestricted use - EU;
5-3. Operational criteria for authorising emissions of radionuclides
from the process industry - Netherlands;
5-4. The radiological situation with respect to NORM and its regulation
in Germany;
5-5. Identification of occupational exposures to natural radiation
sources in the Netherlands;
5-6. Empty...
5-7. Implementation of Euratom directive 96/29: the situation in the
Netherlands concerning NORM;
5-8. Empty...
5-9. Regulatory control and NORM - the UK position.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Kind regards
-----
Nick Tsurikov
Radiation Safety Officer