Re: [

If this is the same story I'm thinking of, I saw something on Network News
about this incident. The 'kid' involved was a 'self-taught' physicist. He
created this reactor as well as a Super-Fund Site in his backyard shed.
Apparantly he is now in the Navy working on a Nuclear Submarine. His parents
were somewhat astounded when they discovered what he was actually doing. The
NRC had actually sent him instructions on how to get most of the materials he
needed from common household items. He posed as a professor and they never
checked to see if he was telling the truth. In addition, he got a company to
send him their discarded Smoke Detectors to take the radioactive materials out
of them. It was an amazing story to say the least.....

Laura Lynch

server@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu wrote:
The November 1998 edition of Harper's Magazine has an article by Ken
Silverstein titled "The Radioactive Boy Scout; when a teenager attempts to
build a breeder reactor".  I was directed to this article by an alert
friend.

I'd be interested in hearing comments of others who've read this article or
have knowledge of the events.

Regards,
Elsa Nimmo
Honeywell-Measurex.