Laboratory Surveys

Dear Group:

I've seen a few responses to Andy K's question regarding surveys in
laboratories.  Here's my 2 cents worth.  I have experience at institutions
which use both methods (i.e., researchers do not perform routine surveys vs
researchers that do perform such surveys).  Our institution requires that
researchers perform and document a contamination (wipe) survey of their
laboratories at least monthly.  Direct radiation surveys and more frequent
surveys may be required of the researchers depending upon the radionuclide
and amount utilized.  Surveys after radionuclide use is always encouraged
and sometimes required.  Our radiation safety staff performs confirmatory
surveys at frequencies ranging from semi-annually to weekly, again depending
upon the radionuclide use.

There are a number of advantages for requiring researchers to perform and
document surveys.  First of all, we have close to 400 laboratories on our
campus.  For our staff to survey that many locations on a monthly basis is
not practical (fiscally or otherwise).  On the other hand, some type of
survey should be performed on a monthly basis; thus, the logical conclusion
is to place that requirement on the researchers themselves.

We find that many researchers are more impressed when they find
contamination than when we do.  We've even been accused of "planting"
contamination in some laboratories (like we have nothing else to do).
Another advantage is that it reinforces the importance of surveys.  If
researchers never do surveys and then have some type of incident (e.g., a
spill), they may not remember how to do surveys which may be necessary
before a member of the radiation safety staff can respond.  This can lead to
some serious contamination problems.

Finally, it is important to encourage researchers to be actively involved in
the radiation safety program.  Performance of surveys keeps them involved
(at least once a month) to a certain extent.

It is important to facilitate the survey process by providing easily
understandable forms for researchers to document surveys.  Poor
documentation can render surveys useless.  The radiation safety staff must
also audit the researchers' surveys during their reviews and provide gentle
prodding when the surveys aren't performed or are poorly documented.

This seems to work for us, but it requires considerable effort by a
dedicated staff which I certainly have.  Feel free to contact me for further
info on this issue.

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu