RE: Texas board votes down border nuclear dump - details

The only thing for certain is that Barnwell is performing a service for the
country and other states are a failing to do their fair share for their
regional compacts.  I guess, however, if I were a legislator I would
probably not press for a site in my region since Barnwell is doing such a
good job.  I don't think the economic and political cost/benefit analysis
would cause a legislature to attempt to site a location.  I personally
wouldn't mind starting my own site in a "dry" state.

I believe that most if not all of increased tax that Barnwell gives to the
state goes directly to education.  I don't think that is a particularly bad
thing.  I think we should commend the people of South Carolina for making
their situation work when the rest of the country is floundering around.  I
don't see how anyone could think that continued operation of the Barnwell
site is not a national interest.  Even if we follow conventional logic we
must have an alternative to the null option of continuing to use Barnwell.
The creation of a viable alternative is not likely by any estimate.

I think the most reasonable thing to do in the absence of another viable
alternative is to ensure Barnwell remains open.  I would even think federal
subsidies would be in order to ensure Barnwell remains a viable option.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers