RE: NORM by definition -Reply

Group,

Just a short explanation, what should be interpreted as Bq(total):

Assuming that no Th-232 is present and a secular equilibrium of say 10
Becquerel for each member of the U-238 series:
Bq(total) would amount to 14 (number of member of the series) time 10 equals
140 Bq(total)

Assuming that no Th-232 is present and secular sub-equilibria of say 0.1
Becquerel for U-238 till Th-230, 10 Bq for Ra-226 till Po-214 and 30 Bq for
Pb-210 till Po210:
Bq(total) would amount to 5*0.1+6*10+3*30 = 150.5 Bq(total),      (excluding
any uncertainty in measured values)

So what I really like to obtain is analysis reports (or references to these
data) showing that there is no secular equilibrium in the naturally
occurring U-238 and Th-232 decay series.

Kind Regards, Gert Jonkers
CTAN - Analytical - Nuclear Measurement Techniques
http://sww.ksla.shell.nl/analytical/skills/nuclearmea/1.html
   Radiotracer applications,
   Gamma-transmission and Neutron BackScatter (NBS) measurements
   Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM)
   Radiological Protection Advice
Shell Research and Technology Centre, Amsterdam (SRTCA),
http://www.srtca.shell.nl/welcome.html
PO Box 38000, NL-1030 BN Amsterdam, the Netherlands
tel.        +31 - 20 - 630 3424
fax        +31 - 20 - 630 2911
e-mail   Gert.G.Jonkers@OPC.Shell.COM