Re: Downwinders Study To Be Released

FYI.  A recent paper by Gilbert, Tarone, Bouville, and Ron (NCI) - J Natl
Can Inst. 1998;90:1654-60 - reports on thyroid cancer rates in the US
following 131-I doses from the Nevada bomb tests.
Despite the ecological approach and uncertainties in dose calculations the
authors conclude that an elevated risk of thyroid cancer is related to
131-I among those exposed within the first years of life and born during
the 50s.
The findings are interesting in light of the Chernobyl data and intriguing
since elevated risks have not been shown previously among children except
for the Ukrainian, Belarus and Russian reports.

Downwinders Study To Be Released - (HERMISTON) -- The
>Centers For Disease Control in Atlanta plans to release a study on
>thyroid disease among so-called ``downwinders'' in Eastern Oregon
>and Washington next month. The study will seek to determine if
>possible radiation releases at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in
>the 50's and 60's may have affected residents who lived near the
>site. Several thousand residents of the area have
>been part of the study.
>
>Sandy Perle
>E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
>Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205
>
>"The object of opening the mind, as of opening
>the mouth, is to close it again on something solid"
>              - G. K. Chesterton -

Best regards,

Per Hall, MD, PhD                          Phone: +46 8 728 6152
Dept. of Medical Epidemiology        Fax: +46 8 314957
Karolinska Institute                          e-mail: per.hall@mep.ki.se

PO Box 281
SE-171 77 Stockholm
Sweden