Medical Dosimetry Question:

During a telephone interview for a job I was asked the question, "What is the
proper dosimetry worn when working with an accelerators which produce
radiopharmaceutical?"  Being that most of my experience is with
environmental health physics and mixed waste I could not properly answer
the question.  (I had just said a generic TLD with filters.)

I have been called back for a face to face interview and I would like to be
able to provide the proper response.  For preparation, I have been reading
NCRP 105 (Radiation Protection for Medical and Allied Health Personnel).
Because accelerators above 10 MeV produce neutrons, I have come to the
conclusion that the proper dosimetry should be a TLD with chips for beta,
gamma and neutrons.  Please drop me a note with what is used at your
institution so I may give an answer which isn't so naive.

Mark P. Winslow
U.S. EPA - Region II
winslow.mark@epa.gov

p.s.  Along the thread of DU - Being the son of a civilian POW from a WWII
Japanese internment camp, It really annoys me when people claim the USA
should not have dropped the bomb on Japan.  The interment camp had
standing orders to execute my grandmother, grandfather and mother in the
event of a ground troop landing.  In effect the developers of the atomic bomb
save their lives and allowed me to be born.