RE: Hyperthyroid Treatment in Dogs

Speak to Sunil Choubal (Head of Occupational safety) at your institution
- he has a great deal of radiation safety experience in this area,
particularly in the radioiodine treatment of cats  with hyperthyroidism.

In humans, the thyroid extracts the iodine from the thyroid gland
quickly and efficiently, the 4-hour uptake is about half of the 24 hour
uptake, which is pretty representative of the final uptake.  The kidneys
are also pretty efficient in excreting the vast majority of iodine not
removed by the thyroid from the circulating bloodstream.  In humans, we
encourage hydration (drinking lots of fliuids, or if that is not
tolerated installing a simple IV saline drip), to enhance rapid
excretion of the radioidodine not taken up by the thyroid gland.  Of
course, all body fluids will contain radioiodine - primarily in the
urine, but sweat and saliva will also be hot.  This presents an
interesting contamination problem in veterinary practice, as cats and
dogs tend to lick themselves as a grooming activity, an activity in
which most of my human patients fortunately do not engage ;>).

In humans treated for hyperthyroidism, about 50% of the administered
activity is excreted in urine, for thyroid cancer post throidectomy,
about 95-98% is excreted.  From the amount (100 mCi) you are using for
the Tx,  I assume you are either doing a thyroid ablation or treating
metastatic disease.

The University of Saskatchewan has very knowledgeable radiation safety
staff who have dealt with this in the past, so give them a call.

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office
Health Sciences Centre
GC-214, 820 SherbrookSt.