Re: Shipment of Radioactive Material

Donald Clark asked for specific wording in personal insurance
policies regarding exclusions for coverage due to radioactive
contamination.

My Pioneer Family auto policy, issued by the Erie Insurance Group
reads as follows:

Under Physical Damage Coverages, Limitations on our duty to Pay, What
we do not cover - Exclusions,  "We will not pay for loss: ...10.  due
to radioactive contamination."

There is no similar exclusion in the liability section of the policy.

I have not had the occasion to test the interpretation of this
exclusion.

Here at the University of Pittsburgh, which is an urban campus, we
insist on hand carrying or transportation in University vehicles.  We
inform everyone that they should not carry radioactive material in
their personal vehicles due to probable insurance claim denial.  They
might of course do what they want without our knowledge, but
certainly not with our sanction.
Howard Irwin, Health Physicist
University of Pittsburgh
mailto:irwin@radsafe.pitt.edu