Germans Reach Nuclear Energy Deal

Below is an article regarding the German phase-out of nuclear
energy. I am providing this article, and will continue to do so, even
if the anonymous individual who sent me a US Postal letter says
that I "need to get a real job" since I am an active member on
Radsafe (my words - his/her were a bit different). To this individual,
I will remind them that Radsafe is a forum to ask questions, provide
answers to colleagues who request assistance, inform the
members of news worthy issues, and, most importantly, to spend
some time to learn a bit about "our nuclear world". So, to this
individual, I'll say that yes, I do have a real job. I do believe that
what I post benefits some of the members and that I will continue
to post what I believe to be relevant in the future. I will also continue
to have my various E-Mail systems open and if there is someone
who needs help, and I can assist, I'll do the unthinkable ... I'll type
a post and hit that dreaded "ENTER" key.

Wednesday December 23 7:36 PM ET

BONN, Germany (AP) - German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder
and his Greens party allies sought Wednesday to smooth over
their first major disagreement, agreeing compromise was needed to
reach a deal on phasing out nuclear energy.

The Social Democratic chancellor had publicly rebuked his Green
environment minister, Juergen Trittin, on Tuesday for firing the
government's two advisory panels on nuclear safety without
clearing it first with him.

Schroeder later told German television that both parties in his
government are committed to closing Germany's nuclear power
plants, but the question of how has yet to be decided.

Trittin also stressed the importance of compromise, and said the
elimination of nuclear power would happen only with ``a
sound and broad consensus.''

The center-left coalition is to meet Jan. 13 to hammer out a
common strategy for talks with the nuclear industry, which begin
Jan. 26.

If a voluntary timetable for shutting down the country's 19 nuclear
power plants is not agreed to within a year, the government has
pledged to legislate a plan.