Pu at NTS - BBC perspective

Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 18:47 GMT - BBC

Nuclear waste travels fast and far

The Nevada Test Sites experienced over 800 underground nuclear
explosions between 1956 and 1992

Plutonium waste has been detected 1.3 kilometres away from a
1968 nuclear weapons test site in Nevada - carried much further
and faster by groundwater than current theory would predict.

The new research proves for the first time that this occurred
because the plutonium attached itself to microscopic mineral
fragments which were then carried along by flowing water
underground.

Plutonium hardly dissolves in water, which is why underground
storage of nuclear waste has been seen as the most acceptable
disposal option. But the new study shows that over 99% of the
transported plutonium did not travel dissolved in groundwater but on
particles - called colloids - carried in the flow.

No complacency

Nirex, the UK authority responsible for disposing of nuclear waste,
told BBC News Online: "We agree with the scientific findings -
colloids must not be neglected. But we have been aware of this
transport mechanism and done our own research at a fractured
slate mine in Cornwall.

"This is factored into all the calculations we make about our rock
repositories - we haven't been complacent," said Dr Alan Hooper,
Science Director.

The actual amount of plutonium moved in Nevada is very small and
only a tiny fraction of the total waste present at the test site was
mobilised. Nonetheless, the researchers from the Lawrence
Livermore and Los Alamos National Laboratories, writing in the
journal Nature, warn that ignoring this way in which contaminants
can be dispersed may "significantly underestimate the extent of
radionucleide migration."

Vapourised rock

The US researchers looked at the Nevada Test Sites where 828
underground nuclear tests took place between 1956 and 1992.
One, Benham, was the location of a 1,150 kiloton explosion just
over 30 years ago. It reached a temperature of a million degrees
and vapourised the rock 100 metres around.

The scientists compared the ratio of the types of plutonium found in
soil at Benham with that found in groundwater 1300 metres to the
south. They matched perfectly, not only with each other but also
with molten rock samples taken at the time of the blast.

Filtering the very fine grit out of the groundwater samples showed
that over 99% of the plutonium had been adsorbed onto the clay
mineral particles. Professor Bruce Honeyman, at the Colorado
School of Mines said in Nature that the study illustrated: "the
striking influence colloids may have on contaminant transport."

Plutonium - ideal candidate

He stated that low solubility in water and a high tendency to stick
to rock made plutonium "an ideal candidate" for this type of
transport, along with thorium, cobalt and pesticides like DDT.
However he told BBC News Online it was doubtful that it would
provide a significant way in which people might be exposed to
nuclear waste, because there the concentration of colloids is
usually low.

However, Professor Honeyman noted that pumping groundwater
can create more colloids by pulling particles away from the rock, or
changing the chemical environment, possibly increasing the
transport of  pollutants.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205