Re: Nuclear Proliferation

One of the most likely nuclear proliferation scenarios is the terrorist
use of a bomb or improvised nuclear device.  The response to such a
scenario would require a lot of HP support.  Besides, the HP profession
got it's start during the Manhattan project.  I'd say that the radiation
effects of nuclear weapons are their most feared effect for most members
of the general public.  Imagine the HP job to be done if a terrorist mixed
some Pu with ordinary explosive and set it off in a big city.  The only
deaths may result from the chemical explosives, but hundreds of
thousands would be potentially exposed to what they've been told is
the deadliest substance on earth.  I definitely see these as issues the
HPS and AND should be addressing.  These societies are in a unique
position to advise the government of the threat of nuclear proliferation,
and also of steps that can be taken to reduce the loss of life if (many
would say when) such an event occurs, God forbid.

It should (key word) be easier to convince the public and the politicians
of the importance of nonproliferation efforts.  We don't need to convince
them that something they don't understand isn't as bad as they think,
we need to convince them that we need to prevent bombs or bomb material
from getting into the wrong hands.  I've never met anyone who was opposed
to nonproliferation, but I'm sure a lot of people have no idea how imminent
the threat is.

Phil Hypes
phypes@nis5.lanl.gov