Re: Re[2]: University of Georgia To Build Lab Near Chernobyl

At 11:55 19.01.1999 -0600, you wrote:
>     As I understand it, it is the politically correct thing to do.  By
>     funding the FSU (former soviet union, not Florida State University),
>     perhaps (don't count on it) we'll prevent FSU scientists from working
>     for certain mid-Eastern governments, and perhaps prevent them from
>     acquiring SNM (uranium and plutonium) useful for making nuclear
>     weapons.

To me it seems that most of the money which is not only distributed, but
pumped into the former Soviet Union not only by the USA but I believe in
much higher amounts by the European Union is a kind of insurance to keep
the structures of science and research alive in the former Soviet Union.
Since I know that our collegues in the former Soviet Union do excellent
work, in spite of their incredible problems with support of instruments,
chemicals, even the most simple things like paper, I think that this money
is well spent. One might take into consideration the "costs" of a Russian
or Ukrainian or Bjelorussian scientist compared to the "costs" of an
American scientist.

In the whole discussion I miss the information which Ruth asked for, namely
the distribution of money. Did I miss it?

This is - as usually - not only a scientific, but much more a political
question.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria