Re: High School Level Radiation Education Curriculum?

Hello,

There is a teacher in Santa Fe who has helped the American Nuclear
Society by giving presentations on using geiger counters in the
classroom and introducing students to radiation.  He is an excellent
speaker (I wish all my high school teachers could have been like
him.)  His name is Jay Shelton <jshelton@roadrunner.com>. It sounds
like his high school students get a fairly extensive introduction
to radiation and nuclear topics.

Also, the University of New Mexico does a summer program (1 week long)
that introduces science teachers to nuclear topics and gives them
ideas on using them in the classroom. The faculty member at UNM who
organizes these workshops is Bob Busch <busch@unm.edu>. He uses
speakers from industry as well as academia.

The "Science, Society and America's Nuclear Waste" curriculum is
available for downloading at

        http://plutonium-erl.actx.edu/education.html

A curriculum guide for middle school students is also available
at that web site.  The sections that I have had time to look at,
appear very good.  It could likely be used as a starting point
for a more advanced curriculum. It is almost 300 pages long. Let
me know if you can find a teacher who has the classroom time to
cover that amount of material.

Mike Baker ... mcbaker@lanl.gov