Re: Give Me You Opinion

Mike,

Yes the fluorine aspect is the problem for UF6.  I had a professor at U of
Maryland that inhaled some at Oak Ridge in his youth and his voice sounded
gravely and hoarse all the time from it.  Nasty corrosive stuff.  Rumor has
it that Teflon was invented/discovered/figured-out-to-be-excellent for
dealing with UF6 because it ate at the plumbing of the permeable membrane
gas separators in the early enrichment work.  Anyone out there know the
answer to this?  I've always wondered.

Scott Kniffin

RSO Unisys Federal Systems, Lanham, MD
CHO Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA
mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov

The opinions expressed here are my own. They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys or NASA.  This material has not been reviewed by my
manager or NASA.