RE: I-131 Thyroid Uptake

Hi

I work in the nuclear medicine environment - just asked one of our NM
physicians - he said that our local "normal" range for a 24 hour I-131
thyroid uptake was 8 - 30% .  Obviously, 8% is on the low end, while 30%
is high, and some patients with those uptakes might be exhibiting some
clinical symptoms of hypothroidism and hyperthyroidism respectively.
So, in medicine remember that "normal" usually falls within some sort of
range of values, rather than a single absolute value.

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office
Health Sciences Centre
GC-214, 820 SherbrookSt.