RE: give me your opinion

Sorry if this is a little late for this thread, but just got back into
the office.

With respect to the postulated accident with the waste drum and the
injured worker, I am a little disappointed with all of you out there.
Nobody has even considered estimating what the dose would be to the
responder, and then using the emergency dose guidance to help make the
decision.  It is fairly straightforward to postulate a scenario and then
estimate the dose.

I suggest using either the NRC manual "Nuclear Fuel Cycle Facility
Accident Analysis Handbook", NUREG/CR-6410, or DOE's version, "Airborne
Release Fractions/Rates and Respirable Fractions for Nonreactor Nuclear
Facilities", DOE-HDBK-3010-94.  Your safety analysis people should have
copies of either or both.  These documents are quite valuable, with
extensive information based upon experimental data and some examples as
to how to use them.

In a case like this, a hand calculation should be quite sufficient to
lead you in the direction you want to go.  If you are forming a policy
based upon this, the calculations could be augmented with more detail,
and of course the process should be documented.

On a second note, I was greatly saddened to hear of Charlie Willis'
death.  In the short time that I have known him, he has always been
thoughtful, considerate, and truly a friend.  His postings on RADSAFE
have always demonstrated a great deal of technical understanding and
appropriateness.  He will truly be missed.

Doug Minnema, CHP
Defense Programs, DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own.