Re[2]: give me your opinion

Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health.

As for Pu being the "most toxic substance known", I believe that a large
percentage of pesticides would beat it out.  I few other nasties come to
mind as well, dimethyl mercury for one.

My answer to original question: I would go in with only a cursory thought
to the radiological conditions (barring the possibility of a criticality
accident or extremely high dose rates from some other source) but would
certainly examine any other physical hazards that may pose an immediate
risk to myself.  Even knowing what the amount of Pu is in the drum ,what is
the likelyhood that it will all be of a respirable size, become airborne,
remain suspended in the air and end up in my lungs?

As a thought to the guys at WIPP, reaction of materials within a drum is
not the only thing that will make the lid blow off.  Altitude and
temperature changes can pressurize a drum just as easily.

| | | |__  Safety Support Officer, Physics & Space Technolgy
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow