RE: Pu Toxicity vs DDT

Considering how Pu would react chemically in a moist environment (such
as the GI tract), I seriously doubt that we would get this far (50 yrs).
I just finished speaking to our resident expert on such matters - he
stated that 3 mg of soluble Pu (pure metal would dissolve fairly quick
in the HCl environment) is fatal - Liver and Bone dose.  Bone breakage
would occur at about 1 yr (Ribs breaking off Backbone) from radiation
damage - 1-2 yrs are fatal symptoms for cancers.  Pretty toxic.

You will almost never encounter pure Pu - you will likely come across it
in oxide form.  This oxide form is about as soluble as sand.  Almost all
of your dose will be GI tract dose - of which, should be over with in
about a week.  These calculations should figure Pu oxide, not pure Pu.

Robert A. Jones			Robert_A_Jones@rl.gov
Health Physicist 			phone: (509)376-8528
PFP Radiological Control 		fax: (509)373-4274
Hanford, WA				Hanford Pager: 85-6559