Re: TLD Background subtraction

Scott Schwahn

> Follow this scenario: someone walks by a badge rack with a radiation
> source in hand a couple times a day during the quarter.  I think for some
> facilities this is reasonable, even if not for ours.  Anyway, the people
> who do not normally wear their dosimeters store them in the rack, right?
> So if the rack control badge is subtracted they are okay.  But the people
> who are more typically exposed to radiation sources are wearing their
> badge during the work day, so their dosimeter is not on the rack.  And
> they are getting dose.  If you then subtract the badge rack control, you
> "erase" their legitimate dose.  And you never knew it happened.

Scott,

I do agree with your comments, to a degree. That is the reason I
believe that the rack dosimeters should be evaluated for the mean
and variance and then be compared to the control dosimeters,
comparing the same parameters. The scenario above is what
actually happened at one of our reactor sites. In that case, the
Eberline EPD was being used, and the readers were located on the
ingress and egress aisles. At the end of the first month of use,
there were a significant number of high false positives, in varying
degrees. What the site learned from an evaluation was that the
reader had an internal source for response checks. The variation in
microR/hr was mapped out for the various TLD storage drawers,
that were kept BELOW each of the readers. Those who never
made any entries had higher doses, than those who were wearing
their TLDs.

There is no simple answer. I do believe that if the rack dosimeters
are compared to the control dosimeters, and there is statistical
agreement, that the rack dosimeters are still more representative of
what the actual background is. There will always require evaluation,
and there is always the possibility, although a low probability, that
the control badges can also have some negative causal agent
affect them as well.

Interesting problem to work on, with no one true accurate
methodology.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205