Re: Survey Instrument calibration frequency

Brief summary:

ANSI N323A-1997, section 4.9, says: "Calibration shall be required at least
annually..." There are also the usual words about calibration after maintenance,
adjustment, etc. that can affect instrument performance. Also words about
increasing cal. frequency due to extreme op, conditions, hard usage, etc.
Essentially, there isn't any change (on this issue) from the 1978 version.

NCRP 112, section 2.8 begins with: "Calibration frequencies suggested by various
groups for portable radiological survey instruments vary from once every few
weeks to once every year, with the most commonly suggested periods between
calibrations ranging between quarterly and annually."

ANSI N323A-1997, NCRP 112 and ISO 7503-1 all require daily source response
checks (NCRP calls it a "performance check"). The source response checks should
be based on a reference reading, normally established during calibration.
Acceptance criteria should be +/-20% (ANSI N323A-1997, section 4.8).

I'd be wary about taking your cal. freuency past 1 year. Recommend reviewing the
discussion in NCRP 112, section 2.8. Probably not what you wanted to hear - but
I hope it helps a little.

My opinion only,

Chris Wend
Sr. Rad Engineer