Re: Who doses the patient?

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:32:07 -0600 (CST) MEDPHYDIA@aol.com writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I would like to have your feed back on therapeutic NaI131 nuclear
>medicine
>procedure. It is not in the NRC regulations that the physician has to
>dose the
>patient even with 150 mCi of NaI131.  Is your NM physician present
>during the
>administration of NaI131 for the treatment of hyperthyroid or cancer
>treatment?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Hoang Nguyen, DABR (medphydia@aol.com)
>RSO St Luke's Hospital Bethlehem

At our facility, we administer NaI-131 in capsule form only.
Administration is performed by the physician in all cases.  The tech
verifies the dose, prepares the patient, holds the pig with capsule in
the vial, and then hands the vial without pig to the physician.  The
physician then administers the dose.  If we inject a therapeutic
radioactive agent (Sr-89, P-32), the tech prepares the patient with the
apparatus for injection, checks the activity, prepares the dose, then at
the time of administration, hands the dose to the physician, who then
inserts the syringe into the lock mechanism and "pushes the plunger".

from Bob Scott
Roger Williams Medical Center
Providence, RI
bobscottchp@juno.com